Monday, April 20, 2009

Baked Beans

Our poor abandoned blog needs some new recipes!! So here's just one. I hope to add more, because it's not like I haven't been cooking! I've just been to busy to mention it here!

I made this recipe for one of the family Easter lunches. Everyone who likes Baked Beans really liked this recipe and told me to make sure I save it! So here I am.

I used the recipe that I found here. Except for a couple changes noted below.

  • 4 slices bacon
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 (28 ounce) cans baked beans
  • 3 tablespoons molasses
  • 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 cup chopped cooked ham

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Place bacon and onions in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl combine beans, molasses, mustard, salt, tomatoes, brown sugar, dry mustard, ham, onions and crumbed bacon. Mix well and transfer to a 2 quart casserole dish.
  4. Bake in preheated oven, covered, for 1 hour. Uncover and bake for 1 hour more.
Ok, my friends. Confession time. I totally skipped cooking the bacon and onion on the stovetop and substituted onion powder and pre-packaged crumbled bacon. I know, I know. BUT have one who lives in my home who (I don't use this word lightly) hates the smell that lingers in the house for the next 2 days. SO, I made the adjustment for him and like I said above, everyone still loved it. Oh, and I also cooked the whole mixture on the stovetop for 1 hour and did the second hour in the oven.

And I'm adding a new category: summer food!! Let's make it a yummy season!

No comments: