Monday, November 22, 2010

Corn Chowder

I found two different corn chowder recipes that I like portions of and mixed the two. I'm sure I'll forget what I did if I don't write it down. So here 'tis!

Ingredients

  • 2 slices Bacon, Cut Into 1/2-inch Pieces (or Smaller) (leave the fat in the pan for fl
  • 5 ears Corn, Shucked (about 4 Cups) -- I just used 4 cups of frozen corn. You could also do canned corn.
  • 2-3 potatoes, diced
  • 32 ounces, fluid Low Sodium Chicken Broth
  • 1-½ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
  • ½ teaspoons Kosher Salt (more To Taste)
  • 3 Tablespoons Masa (flour made from corn) or flour (I found the masa near the mexican food at Meijer or Walmart)
  • ¼ cups Water

Preparation Instructions

Add bacon pieces to a pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Cook for a couple of minutes. Add corn and diced potatoes. Stir and cook for one minute.

Pour in chicken broth and cream. Add salt. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.

Combine masa (or flour) with water. Stir to combine, then pour into the chowder. Cover and cook for 15 minutes over low heat. If chowder needs more thickening, add another tablespoon of cornmeal mixed with water. Cook for another ten minutes.

No comments: